Thursday, September 29, 2011

truth.

It is Thursday.
I feel exhausted, and to be quite honest I don't have time to devote to this post, but I need to write this.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true.

I feel His love for me everyday.
My life is blessed.

I call my mom between classes at least once, if not twice, a day. I tell her all the happenings in my life. But recently our conversations have change. My perspective has changed. Love is an amazing thing and I am experiencing it on a level that before wasn't imaginable. Now, I am not talking about the man of my dreams who has swept me off my feet. . . this is not a post about my hopeless-romantic-self. This is a post about the love I feel for my sisters and the Spirit that expounds that love and directs me in caring and service.

I beam the entire time I am on the phone with my mom as I try to explain to her how I feel. My heart burns and I get excited over just the thought of my Relief Society and IWA (Institute Women's Association) Sisters.

It hasn't been easy to get to this point though.

When I pray, I pray for the Sisters.
I pray for them by name.
I pray to understand their needs. I pray to love them. I pray to serve them. I pray to know them.
They are beautiful Daughters of God.

My testimony has grown tremendously as I have applied one principle of the gospel to my life.
The principle of putting the Lord First.
Sounds simple enough. Right?

I have felt the blessing of my actions in day-to-day activities.
My memory has magnified. I give all credit to the Lord.
I am able to accomplish so much, and when I do the things of the Lord first my time multiplies.

Monday I had institute. The lesson was Scripture Study in Personal Life.
I walked in knowing I was going to be Spiritually fed.

Brother Hopkins started off:
   "I knew I had to graduate from college quickly. At the time I had three kids, two part-time jobs, and I was taking 31college credits. I had to put my trust in the Lord. I knew that if I did all that He needed of me first then He would pick of my loose-ends. There was times that I only had an hour before a test to cram. I would pray to have my mind directed, then when I would open my books it was like the words I needed to study would stand off the page. Sure enough when it came time to take the test the topics I studied where the things that were asked. And even though these were my busiest times of life, I always did well."

I left class challenged.

I was off to gain my own experience, build my testimony.

On Mondays I have an hour break between Institute and my next class, which is news writing.
News writing is my hardest class. Every Monday we are given a five point quiz on the an article that we should have read during the previous week. The class is assigned about 32 articles a week, giving me pretty bad odds if you think about it. 

You may be think, "It is only five points, what is the big deal?"
I need every point I can get in that class! Yes, I am that desperate/determined to succeed.

I had done all the required reading. I wanted to review, but didn't have the time to review everything. It was crutch time. And so I prayed.

I prayed that my mind would be open, and that I could be directed. I prayed that I could be prepared for this quiz.

As soon as I opened my eyes, I felt strongly about one of the articles. Looked through it. And went to class. I didn't doubt for one minute.

Papers were passed out among the students.
I wrote my name at the top.
The question was asked, and even though I knew it was coming I still was surprised. 
My professor asked a question concerning the article that I was prompted to review.

The lord blesses us when we put Him first.
It is a simple truth that has change my life entirely.

1 comment:

Cody & Kasta Jensen said...

You are amazing Kelsie! I am so impressed with who you are...and very proud. You are such an inspiration and an amazing example to everyone who knows you, including me. It is so good to hear that you are doing so well. Keep in touch. You're GREAT :)